10.05.2017

I recently started following a handful of "adventure seekers" on instagram. Along with their their photos, they typically will post a background story or general feelings that day. Today I read about a gentleman and his injury with frostbite last year. I started thinking again about how my injury 2 years ago is still with me today, and how I am not the same because of it. I am still not climbing, though I miss it terribly, and go on occasional spurts where I can also not run or do yoga (as I am right now). These are my sports, these are parts of me that make me feel me. That I cannot do. All people like me experience this loss when they lose their ability to do the things that make them feel most like themselves. Whether it's sports injuries or emotional injuries or job losses. All of these things hurt. I've struggled to find my way back to something I once knew but now know that's not really how it works - you go forward to something else. Perhaps that means no more climbing. Perhaps that means in 10 years I can finally introduce myself to that passion once again. Perhaps there is something else I have not found yet. But accepting that you have to release a part of yourself that you identify with is no easy feat. And it's been important for me to have reminders of the beautiful things that make me feel alive in my life, even if I am not doing them myself. And one day I won't say one day. I'm not quite there yet.

No comments: