7.07.2015

Inspiration Tuesday: Just be as you are

Last night I heard about an impromptu acoustic concert on the beach with Mike Posner. I vaguely remembered him and his couple of hits a few years ago, but it was gorgeous out last night, and there's nothing like some acoustic music while laying in the grass by water. So we went.

I was impressed and so satisfied. I don't remember in the least what his persona used to be, but he spoke a lot about how he is different now than he was years ago when he started music. He was honest and vulnerable and simply real in a quiet, satisfying way. It was a perfect evening, to sit in the grass and hear someone beautifully sing about their real life and their experiences and their road. Mmmmmm. The truth is, if he just came to Cleveland for a concert, I would never consider going. But something like this? I would see most artists if they did this. Such a feeling of community.

I especially like this song, especially acoustic:

There are moments when you fall to the ground
But you are stronger than you feel you are now
You don't always have to speak so loud, no
Just be as you are
Life is not always a comfortable ride
Everybody's got scars that they hide
And everybody plays the fool sometimes, yeah
Just be as you are

Kate had a date the other night and it didn't go well for her - no attraction or interest on her part. "He is just very simple." And I said, well, that's actually a really good thing! What she really meant was, he is boring. Plenty of things in life get complicated, I want my person to be nice and simple. He likes simple things like ice cream and movies, can admit to feeling the cliche things, and is happy to just be. That is what I am trying to be more like! The words to the song above are so simple and maybe even boring. But when someone stands in front of you and sings them with meaning, you connect with it. Because it's real. And we have become desensitized to the simple things that have meaning.

No comments: