7.16.2013

Questlove

Questlove just wrote this article which is especially interesting to me because I was just about to write about how being a woman means being scared quite often -- or at least always aware. I am always aware of the men around me, if I'm the only woman, if they are in pairs or groups, how old they are, how they look / what they are looking at or doing. Always. And moreso, I immediately after have a plan, a route, a way out. It's just something I've learned to do because the world is cruel and unforgiving and there are too many people who do what they want and think they deserve. Questlove is on the opposing end of this, and I don't know how to bridge it. I just don't know. (Although note: he is speaking specifically of race, and being large, but mostly race. That's a whole other issue... I'm just speaking of any men at all and being the minority in a situation like that.)

But I would never ever be upset about being in an elevator with Questlove!

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/07/questlove-trayvon-martin-and-i-aint-shit.html

No comments: